This recipe makes 2 loaves – one for eating right away, and one for freezing. I tweaked some other recipes until I developed this one. I like this recipe because it is lower in sugar and fat compared to many zucchini breads, and it is made with whole grains. I feel like I can enjoy it on a regular basis, rather than a treat to be eaten only once in a while. Enjoy!
4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
¾ cup brown sugar
2 ¼ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup dark chocolate chips (at least 60% cacao)
2 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
4 Tbsp butter (melted)
2 cups applesauce
3 cups finely shredded zucchini
Ingredient Substitutions (If you don’t have the above ingredients on hand, you can use the following substitutions):
4 cups whole wheat pastry flour = 2 cups regular whole wheat flour mixed with 2 cups white flour
¾ cups brown sugar = ¾ cups coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and chocolate chips in a large bowl. Mix together well.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. While the butter is melting, combine the wet ingredients in a separate bowl from the dry ingredients – vanilla, eggs, applesauce, and zucchini. Gradually stir the melted butter into the wet ingredients.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients by pouring the wet ingredients into the larger bowl with dry ingredients. Stir well with a spoon until all ingredients are combined into a batter-like consistency.
- Lightly grease two 9×5-inch loaf pans. Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Place pans on middle oven rack and bake for 45-55 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
STORAGE: After bread has completely cooled, wrap loaves that you would like to freeze in tin foil, and then place them in tightly sealed plastic freezer bags, being sure to press out all of the extra air before sealing. You can freeze this type of bread for 2-4 months to retain full flavor and nutritional quality. If it is frozen for a longer period of time, it will still be safe to eat, but some of the quality may be diminished. When you are ready to eat the frozen bread, allow it to thaw completely, and it is ready to slice and serve for any meal or snack!