This is a delicious alternative to traditional ice cream, and a great way to use frozen strawberries or bananas! Compared to traditional ice cream, it is dairy and fat free, lower in calories, and much more nutrient dense, with lots of potassium and Vitamin C!
2 frozen bananas
4 large frozen strawberries
2 Tbsp dark chocolate chips
Substitutions: You can use frozen cherries instead of strawberries for a delicious cherry chocolate ice cream (one of my favorites)! Cacao nibs can be used instead of dark chocolate chips.
STEPS USING A YONANAS MAKER
- Allow bananas and strawberries to thaw for 10 minutes (so they are only slightly thawed; do not let them thaw longer, or the ice cream will be mushy).
- Insert ingredients into the Yonanas maker in the following order: 1 frozen banana half, 1 frozen strawberry, ½ Tbsp dark chocolate chips. Place a bowl beneath the Yonana maker, where the ice cream will come out.
- Turn on the Yonanas maker to process ingredients, using the plastic plunger to push ingredients through.
- Repeat steps 3 more times with the remaining ingredients, letting the ice cream fall into the bowl you placed beneath it.
- Place ice cream into serving dishes and enjoy!!
STEPS USING A BLENDER
*Add 1/2 cup coconut or almond milk and 1 extra strawberry
(When using a blender, I recommend using frozen banana slices instead of banana halves, which may be easier for the blender to process.)
- Place frozen bananas, strawberries, and milk in blender, and allow fruit to thaw for 10 minutes before processing.
- Gradually turn your blender to high speed, and allow it to blend at high speed until ingredients are mixed together into an ice cream like consistency, or use the frozen desserts option on your blender if it has one. If needed, with the blender turned off, use a spoon to intermittently scrape down the sides of the blender in between blending until an ice cream like consistency is achieved. I used the tamper on my Vitamix while it was blending.
- Add dark chocolate chips to the blender, and pulse or mix at medium-high speed until the chocolate chips have become small bits incorporated throughout the ice cream.